wikiHow works on the principle of a wiki, which means that many of our articles are written by several authors. When creating this article, volunteer authors worked on its editing and improvement.
The number of sources used in this article is 15. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
Chia seeds are a popular healthy food that has been consumed for many centuries, although these seeds have become relatively popular in the West. These seeds almost do not have their own taste and therefore they can be safely added to other dishes. We’ll show you how you can use chia seeds, both adding them to your usual recipes and cooking something new with them, like puddings and smoothies.
Chia seeds - useful properties
Chia seeds or Sage Spanish is a mountain annual plant belonging to the family Lamiaceae. It grows in Central and Southern Mexico, Paraguay, Argentina, Australia, Guatemala, Ecuador, Bolivia. Chia seeds were well known in ancient times to the Aztec and Mayan tribes and were valued for their unique composition and a set of useful chemical elements. In Mayan, chia means strength.
The seed itself is very small in size, has an ellipsoidal shape and about 2 millimeters in length. Dark seeds are much more common than white seeds.
In chia seeds (per 100 grams):
- 2.5 times more phosphorus than in fish,
- 6 times more calcium than in cottage cheese,
- 2 times more potassium than bananas,
- 3 times more iron than spinach,
- 2.5 times more folic acid (vitamin B9) than in chicken eggs,
- 15 times more magnesium than broccoli.
Chia seeds are also a source. squirrelfor which vegetarians are very much appreciated in the USA and Latin American countries, polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particular α-linolenic acid (Omega 3) and linolenic acid (Omega 6), which are more than in fish or other grains and seeds.
In addition, chia seeds are a source of B vitamins (B1-thiamine, B2-riboflavin, B6 pyridoxine), Vitamins C, E, PP, zinc, copper, sodium and dietary fiber (fiber).
The beneficial properties of chia seeds are that they contain large amounts of polysaccharides. One of the most important features of polysaccharides is their ability to form jelly-like viscous aqueous solutions - gel or mucus.
When in contact with the liquid, chia seeds form a gel (a transparent “capsule” around the seed), which increases the saturation period.
Chia seeds swollen in water or another liquid contain a lot of mucus, which is concentrated on the outer shell of the seed.
It is the presence of polysaccharides that provides the chia seed gel with high water-holding properties. And the swollen seed is able to retain moisture, much more in relation to its own weight.
Chia seeds suppress appetite, increase energy, relieve the intestines of excess toxins and toxins, which helps to reduce weight without experiencing hunger.
Chia seeds - how to use
The daily dose is 5-10 grams of dry seeds or 1-2 tablespoons.
In dry form. Chia can be consumed whole grains in a dry form, washed down with a sufficient amount of water. Add dried chia to vegetable salads. To taste, dry chia is crispy, somewhat similar to a confectionery poppy.
Since chia are very hydrophilic, that is, they absorb water intensely, they should definitely be consumed with a large amount of liquid, in order to avoid discomfort in the stomach.
Ground. Chia can be ground in a coffee grinder and added to baked goods, granola, dairy products.
Soaking seeds before use. When chia swells in a liquid, they become something like a jelly with grains with a sweet taste.
Soak seeds can be from 15-20 minutes to 2 hours.
The taste of chia seeds is pleasant, slightly nutty, which makes it easy to add them to various finished foods and drinks. Most often they are added to cereals, salads, sauces, yogurt, kefir or mixed with drinks (any fruit or vegetable juice) and pastries (when making muffins, puddings).
Chia seeds can be added to the dough when baking fritters.
Slimming Chia Seeds
Chia seeds will help you lose weight, but only with proper nutrition. Chia can be a useful addition to your diet or good nutrition.
Unfortunately, there is not a single magic product, when consumed, the body would lose weight. If you want to lose weight, you need to adhere to proper nutrition, control the amount of food consumed and the number of calories, give the body at least small physical exertion, for example, walk at a fast pace for 30-40 minutes.
What are the benefits of chia seeds:
- Once in the stomach, they swell, envelop its walls, after which there is a feeling of fullness even with insignificant consumption of food.
- Slowly digested, a feeling of satiety for a long period of time.
- They are a natural prebiotic, that is, they are not absorbed in the upper parts of the gastrointestinal tract, but they are a nutrient medium (feed) for normal intestinal microflora (for friendly bacteria).
- Due to the large amount of dietary fiber (fiber), they cleanse the intestines of bacteria and toxins, remove toxins from the body, and also contribute to the normalization of stool (prevent constipation).
Contraindications and limitations
Despite its undeniable benefits, chia is not recommended for people prone to food allergies, especially those who are allergic to sesame seeds.
It is also not recommended to use without a doctor's advice to people taking medications to thin the blood. You should see your doctor before adding chia to your diet.
Hypotensive people (low blood pressure). Due to the high content of omega-3 fatty acids, which are a natural anticoagulant, that is, a blood thinning substance, blood pressure can drop sharply when chia is consumed.
For those who have digestive problems, chia can cause bloating, increased flatulence and, in some cases, diarrhea, especially if the dosage is incorrectly selected.
Caution should be taken during pregnancy and only after consulting a doctor, since the safety of chia seeds during pregnancy has not been established. And it is not recommended to use in the diet of children under 3 years.
If you want to try to enrich your diet with chia seeds, but don’t know how the body will react to a new product, start acquaintance with small doses and listen to your body.
How to choose and store chia seed
Chia is cultivated everywhere, there is no shortage of seeds. You can buy them in pharmacies, health food stores or in online stores. Offline method has a lot of advantages, the main thing is visual assessment. You can see, touch, sometimes even smell and taste the seeds. Minus - price: in stationary places it is often overpriced. The method of acquiring via the Internet is convenient in that you can find and select a country or a specific manufacturer, compare the cost, which can be several times lower, read reviews.
Signs of quality seeds:
- Coloring. The color is heterogeneous, interspersed with a marble pattern, there are all shades of brown, there are white seeds.
- Shape, size. Chia seeds are small, round, resemble miniature quail eggs.
- Taste. Unleavened, characteristic of raw seeds, vaguely resembles a walnut.
- Smell. None, there may be a slight aroma of grain, flour.
- Documents. Any seller, regardless of the place of sale of the products, must have documents confirming the quality of the seed.
Chia intended for food and medicinal use is most often sold. But there are seeds for planting. They have less value, since they have reached the degree of maturity on the plant. You can visually distinguish them by color, as well as the size of the package. Planting material is packaged in small bags. Edible seeds are rarely sold in small ones.
After purchase, the product must be immediately poured into an airtight jar, stored in a dark place at a temperature not exceeding 25 °. Under the influence of sunlight, some of the valuable substances disappear. When moisture enters, the seed swells quickly, deteriorates.
Energy value, calorie content of dry chia seeds is 490 kcal per 100 g of product ± 20 kcal. Calorie content may vary slightly depending on the origin and date of harvest.
The content of the BJU in 5 grams:
- Proteins - 0.781 g
- Fats - 1.54 g
- Carbohydrates - 0.31 g,
- Dietary fiber - 1.89 g.
The energy value per 5 grams is 24 kcal / 102.5 kJ.
Chia seeds - a description of healthy superfood
] is an ingredient that is the basis of many drugs. It has a complex effect on the body, improving well-being.
Chia Seeds: Composition
Chia grains are rich in useful substances and components. Among the main substances that make up the product, the following options can be distinguished:
- Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids - they remove excess cholesterol from the body, so the risk of developing atherosclerosis is completely eliminated,
- fiber - the substance eliminates constipation and prevents the appearance of dangerous diseases that are associated with the digestive organs,
- calcium, potassium and protein - regular use of grains will charge you with strength and energy. Similar components have a positive effect on the strength of bones and teeth,
- tryptophan - the substance fights insomnia, gives a good mood and eliminates the feeling of constant fatigue,
- protease inhibitors - destroy malignant cells, restore damaged DNA, eliminate the risk of developing cancerous tumors,
- antioxidants - this product is an indispensable ingredient in various masks and creams to improve skin condition.
These are the ingredients that chia seeds are rich in. The composition of the grains is really unique, so they are used in many areas of human life. They are indispensable in the treatment of various diseases.
But how nutritious are chia seeds? Calorie content per 100 grams of product is 490 kcal. That is why it can be used even if you follow your figure.
Chia seeds: beneficial properties
The product has a considerable amount of useful properties that have made it so popular. If you regularly eat it, you can get these effects:
- the functioning of the digestive system becomes stable,
- you can cope with extra pounds by combining grains with plenty of water,
- the ingredient can improve heart function, eliminating the risk of developing atherosclerosis,
- with it, you can stabilize blood cholesterol,
- the minimum amount of ingredient gives a long-lasting feeling of fullness, so you won’t overeat,
- Magnesium and phosphorus are present in the product, so the teeth and bones will become strong.
These are the beneficial properties of chia seeds that have been discovered by experts. If you add them to your diet, you can significantly improve your well-being and avoid the appearance of various diseases.
Chia seed: benefits and harms for women
Representatives of the weaker sex appreciated this ingredient. Most often, it is used as an additive in the dietary system. Grains give a feeling of fullness, so you will not overeat. Extra pounds will disappear much faster, which will allow you to become the owner of a slender figure.
Health Benefits of Chia Seeds
You can also use seeds to care for your appearance. Masks and creams are prepared from the ingredient, which make it possible to improve the condition of the skin. The regular use of such tools will allow you to cope with existing problems.
Such a product causes harm only if its use is abused. Allergic reactions and other health problems may occur.
The health benefits of chia seeds for men
Representatives of the stronger sex can also use such a product. Most often it is added to sports nutrition. The ingredient promotes rapid muscle gain. If you regularly eat a small portion of the supplement, after a while the body will become embossed.
Great benefit of grains for men who suffer from impotence. The product is able to restore erectile functions, allowing you to enjoy high-quality sex with a partner again.
Chia seeds benefit and harm the body
Such products have a valuable composition, which makes them indispensable in the treatment of many diseases. The benefits of grains for the human body are as follows:
- they have a beneficial effect in the presence of allergic reactions,
- they need to be eaten with anemia,
- seeds are effective in case of hormonal imbalance,
- the ingredient normalizes blood sugar levels,
- The product is able to stabilize blood pressure.
But what do experts say about the dangers of grains? If you take them too long, increasing the recommended dose, the body can react with an allergic reaction. The functioning of internal organs may also be impaired.
The benefits and harm to the body of chia seeds for a long time has been studied by professionals. You should add this product to your diet if you want to improve your well-being.
Chia seeds: how to use?
In order for the ingredient to bring the body only benefits, you need to take it according to the rules established by experts. So, let's deal with the main points that should not be forgotten.
Not everyone knows if chia seeds need to be washed before use. This should be done only before you are about to eat a serving of grains. Remember that they rapidly absorb water, so after a few hours they may disappear.
Chia seeds: how to use, recipes
The following methods of eating grains can be distinguished:
- when dry, they are added to dishes or consumed with plenty of water,
- dry powder prepared from the ingredient is added to various dishes and drinks,
- soaked ground seeds are poured with a large amount of water so that mucus begins to stand out from them,
- this ingredient is the basis for the preparation of various culinary masterpieces: from porridge to salads,
- ground seeds are a great option for making homemade cakes.
Remember that you need to drink water after eating with seeds. If you do the opposite, the grains do not swell, so they will begin to take moisture from the body. This leads to constipation and problems with the functioning of the digestive system.
Now you know how to consume chia seeds. Choose the option that suits you so that the ingredient brings you not only benefit, but also pleasure.
How to eat raw chia seeds?
The raw product is used as an additive in many dishes. You can sprinkle them with oatmeal, yogurt, or other healthy goodies. The seeds will remain crispy, so the process of eating will bring you pleasure. You can use this ingredient for preparing various culinary masterpieces, because its delicate taste and aroma will not leave you indifferent.
But you can eat the seeds without anything, just eating a handful before a meal in half an hour. But you need to drink them with plenty of water. So they swell in the stomach, allowing for a long time to get enough.
Chia seeds: how much to eat per day?
Not everyone knows how much to eat chia seeds. The daily rate of the product is not more than 50 grams. These are two tablespoons of grains that can improve well-being with regular use. They are consumed three times a day before meals.
Now you know how often you can eat seed, so as not to harm the body. The recommended dosage should not be increased, otherwise allergic reactions may occur.
Chia seeds for children: at what age can I give?
Even babies can eat such a product. But not everyone knows at what age to introduce it into the diet of children. Experts recommend giving seeds to a child who is five years old. You can cook porridge by adding a third of a tablespoon of seeds to it. They can also be added to salads in small quantities. The ingredient positively affects bone strength and dental health, contributing to the proper formation of the baby’s skeleton.
Chia meal: useful properties and contraindications
Such a drug is extremely popular among people. This is due to its positive effect on the human body. Chia meal can bring such benefits:
- digestive organs are cleaned of toxins, toxins and residues of antibiotics,
- "Bad" cholesterol leaves the body, which prevents the occurrence of atherosclerosis,
- the drug is the abolition of diabetes prevention,
- digestive processes are stabilized and activated,
- bile acid circulation returns to normal,
- can cope with constipation, as intestinal motility improves,
- fat absorption is minimized
- immunity becomes strong.
You can not use such a tool if you suffer from individual intolerance to the components. Также откажитесь от него в период беременности и грудного вскармливания.
Это полезные свойства и противопоказания шрот чиа, с которыми нужно подробно ознакомиться. A unique drug is used by many people to treat various diseases, because it quickly gives the desired results.
Salmon with seeds
- sesame seeds - a quarter cup
- chia - half a glass,
- olive oil - a teaspoon,
- honey - a teaspoon
- salmon fillet - 500 grams.
Mix all ingredients except fish in a prepared container. Add a pinch of salt. Cut salmon fillet into thin strips. Immerse the fish in the finished marinade. Bake the dish on the grill, without adding vegetable oil, for 12 minutes on each side.
Vanilla nut drink
- chia seeds - a glass,
- almond milk - 4 cups.
If you do not know how to soak the chia seeds in milk, just pour the grains with liquid, placing them in the refrigerator for half an hour. Before you drink, add maple syrup, grated nuts or fresh berries. Also introduce some vanilla to get a delicious, aromatic drink.
- bell pepper - 1 piece,
- celery stalk - 2 pieces,
- carrot - 1 piece,
- onion - 1 piece,
- Fresh green peas.
Sauté peppers, celery, carrots, onions and peas in olive oil. When 5 minutes have passed, add chia (2 tablespoons), blanched chopped tomatoes (3 pieces), corn seeds. Pour the ingredients into the meat broth, leaving the container on low heat for half an hour. Add spices to your taste. Before serving, garnish with finely chopped parsley or dill.
Now you know the benefits and harms of chia seeds, recipes and other things. Prepare culinary masterpieces with such an ingredient daily to get the most out of their use.
Chia seeds: instructions for use for treatment
Chia seeds: medicinal properties
The unique composition of the ingredient influenced the fact that it is used in the field of medicine to treat various diseases. But you need to use the product correctly so as not to harm the body. Instructions for use for treating chia seeds depend on the nature of the problem. It is better to consult your doctor who will tell you how to consume grains and what dosage to adhere to.
Pancreatitis Chia Seeds
Some people are faced with a dangerous disease like pancreatitis. Inflammation of the pancreas causes a lot of discomfort and pain. The method of applying chia seeds in this situation boils down to the fact that you need to eat 30 grams of grains three times a day, washing them down with a copious amount of liquid. It takes a month to be treated with such an ingredient, after which you need to take a break for several weeks.
Chia seeds: laxative effect
Many people suffer from constipation, which cause a lot of discomfort. The stool becomes irregular, therefore, toxins and toxins gradually accumulate in the body. With the help of chia seeds, you can cleanse the intestines of rotting food residues and feces. To do this, use 2 teaspoons of seeds, washed down with a glass of clean water without gas. After a while, you can go to the toilet.
Chia seeds for diabetes
This product is approved for people suffering from diabetes. Its regular use makes it possible to stabilize blood sugar. Over time, the problem will gradually disappear, without causing you discomfort. To achieve such results, you need to eat 37 grams of seeds per day for 12 weeks.
Seeds should always be washed, but this can only be done before use. Chia absorb water 12 times their own weight. If you wet them, then you need to use them in the next day. Otherwise, the product simply disappears.
How to eat chia seeds:
- In a dry whole form. Seeds are added to dishes or used just like that with water, drinks.
- In dry ground form. The powder is usually added to dishes, drinks, mixed with honey, syrups.
- In ground soaked form. The crushed seeds are poured with fluids in advance to excrete mucus.
- In boiled form. This includes the preparation of jelly, cereals and other seed-fortified dishes.
- Bakery products. Ground seeds can be added to the dough for fritters, muffins, pancakes, but the concentration of valuable substances is reduced.
The method of use can be any, but it is always important to remember about water. Contrary to all the rules of a healthy diet, you need to drink the liquid after eating with seeds. Otherwise, chia will not be able to swell, they will take water from the body, including from the intestines, which will lead to the appearance of constipation, bowel obstruction.
Ways to consume seeds for general recovery
Chia can be eaten daily throughout life. The product will improve well-being, enhance the protective functions of the body and increase immunity, help control weight, inhibit aging and improve skin condition. It rarely causes allergies, is allowed for children from 3 years.
How to eat chia seeds:
- Kissel. Pour a teaspoon of seeds with a glass of hot water, cover, leave for an hour. If time is short, you can boil the mixture for 2 minutes, cool and drink.
- Porridge. Pour a spoonful of seeds (whole or chopped) into a glass of boiling milk, boil for 2 minutes, add spices to taste.
- With honey. Combine 1-2 tsp. ground seeds with the same amount of honey, stir. Eat with tea or milk.
- Cocktail. Insist in a glass of kefir or yogurt 1-2 tsp. Chia 2 hours. You can stand the night in the refrigerator.
Ground seeds can be added to fresh salads, soups, main dishes and cereals, cereals, granola, and pastries. They are allowed to mix with nuts, add to ice cream, cream or use to sprinkle cake. In any case, the product will only benefit.
Important! No need to consume more than one tablespoon of seeds per day. An overdose of vitamins, fiber, and other beneficial elements is just as harmful as insufficient intake.
Use for weight loss
Chia is a great helper in the fight for a slim figure. Seeds contain fiber and secrete mucus. They suppress hunger, saturate and prevent overeating, it is also an excellent source of valuable substances, amino acids, omega. Together, they help to avoid sagging skin, stretch marks and other side effects of weight loss.
How to use chia seeds for weight loss:
- Kissel. The easiest way for which only water is needed. Pour a glass of hot water 1-2 tsp. seed, insist an hour. You can reduce the time to 15 minutes if you use a crushed product. You can drink this jelly with bouts of severe hunger or 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
- Dry seeds. For 20-30 minutes before each meal, eat 5 g of seeds and drink a glass of water.
- Porridge. Mix 1 tbsp. l chia and 2 tbsp. l oatmeal. Pour a glass of boiling water, close and leave for an hour. Eat healthy cereal daily for breakfast.
An unloading day on kefir with seeds is no less effective for weight loss. You can spend it every week. A tablespoon of chia pour a liter of fermented milk drink, put in the refrigerator. Eat 0.2 L of this mixture every 2.5 hours. Additionally, you need to drink 2 liters of water.
Chia Seed Cleansing
The seeds contain dietary fiber that helps cleanse the intestines, normalize stool, improve peristalsis and internal microflora. Mucus helps to protect the walls, makes the process soft, painless. The course of cleansing usually lasts 2-3 weeks. Regardless of the selected recipe, a prerequisite is the daily use of 2 liters of purified water.
Seeds - 1 tbsp. l
Kefir - 200 ml
Honey to taste
Combine kefir and whole or ground chia seeds. Insist at least 2 hours. To taste, add 1-2 tablespoons of fresh honey, stir until dissolved. Drink an hour before meals, you can prepare the product in the evening and drink on an empty stomach. The course of bowel cleansing is 3 weeks.
Cleansing Cocktail Recipe
Helps to cope with constipation, gently cleanses the intestines.
Chia - 1 tbsp. l
Honey - 1 tbsp. l
Water - 200 ml
Lemon juice - 1-2 tbsp. l
Prunes - 4 pcs.
Pour washed seeds with water in the evening, leave to swell. In the morning add all the other ingredients of the cocktail, beat with a blender. Eat on an empty stomach, have breakfast after 2 hours. The tool can be used for a single solution to the problem or for a cleansing course within 2 weeks.
Improper diet, abuse of fatty and fried foods leads to an increase in bad cholesterol, clogging of blood vessels, and disturbance of blood circulation. Over time, the problem flows into serious diseases, the risk of heart attacks and strokes increases. Of course, you can use special drugs to lower cholesterol, but it’s wiser to follow a diet and take chia.
Seeds can be used in any way, to make jelly or cereal from them, in any case, the body will react positively. But to lower cholesterol, it is better to add the product to regular foods. It is necessary to grind 1 tbsp. l., divided into 4-5 parts, depending on the number of meals, add to any cold and hot dishes.
Chia seeds with regular use reduce blood sugar, prevent sudden surges in glucose, but are not a cure. Therefore, you should not rely on them entirely, as manufacturers promise, but can be used to improve the general condition and composition of blood. Proteins and fiber will have a beneficial effect on the body, as well as prevent the risk of obesity, which increases with diabetes.
As with lowering cholesterol, chia is allowed to be added to any food, to cook jelly, water, salads and other dishes that do not contradict the human diet.