This article is co-written by Sarah Gehrke, RN. Sarah Gerke is a registered Texas nurse. She received a master's degree in nursing from the University of Phoenix in 2013.
The number of sources used in this article is 22. You will find a list of them at the bottom of the page.
Depilatory creams such as Nair are often used to remove hair, because they are easy to use, they allow you to remove hair from uncomfortable places that cannot be reached with a razor, and the skin itself remains smooth longer than after shaving. In depilatory creams, there are chemicals that break down the hair, but can also lead to irritation and rash (dermatitis). Read on to find out what to do in case of a negative skin reaction to depilation cream and how to prevent this problem in the future.
Why do acne appear after depilation?
Abscesses, irritations, swelling are formed for various reasons. It is necessary to familiarize yourself with all possible factors in order to exclude them from now on.
So, the causes of acne after depilation:
- Very sensitive skin. The epidermis has an increased sensitivity to external stimuli. Any aggressive effect on the skin leads to a state of irritation. Often faced with such a problem are girls who have just started doing hair removal. Over time, the dermis can get used to and acne will not appear, but it happens that the skin continues to respond to the procedure with inflammation for a long time.
- Neglect of hygiene and sterility. During depilation, especially one where hair removal occurs along with the root, the upper skin layer is broken, the holes where the hairs were left remain open. Microbes instantly penetrate the damaged layers of the epidermis and begin to multiply. It is very important that during the process everything is sterile, disinfected.
- Allergic reaction. The body may react to the material for hair removal or the procedure itself with allergies. Pustules occur after shugaring, waxing, chemical cream-epilator, as a reaction to the material. Such an allergy may be accompanied by itching, swelling of the epilated areas.
- Infection. During the procedure, there is a risk of introducing an infection that provokes purulent formations on the skin. Malicious microorganisms can be found anywhere: on the hands of the master, auxiliary tools, in the wax itself (if dirty hands were immersed in it).
- Hormonal disorders. Due to hormonal imbalance, pustules often appear in the bikini area, groin, on the face in its lower part. Aggressive effects on the skin further stimulate their reproduction.
- Clogging of hair pores. Some cosmetics used after depilation (creams, lotions) clog the hair holes, preventing them from healing naturally. Inside the pores, inflammatory processes begin, the result of which are abscesses.
Safety when using depilatory cream
First, let's talk about safety rules. To protect yourself from possible negative consequences, such as burns after depilation with cream or irritation, adhere to the main rule - the exact following of the instructions.
Basic precautions for all such remedies:
- always use a sensitivity test before use,
- do not exceed the exposure time specified in the instructions,
- do not use the cream in areas prohibited by the manufacturer,
- do not apply the depilator to damaged or irritated skin,
- skin care after hair removal procedure.
Did you know? The main active ingredient in depilation creams is calcium thioglycolate, which destroys keratin - the protein that makes up hair.
Complications after the procedure and the reasons for their appearance
In most cases, all complications occur due to non-compliance with the above recommendations and rules. However, sometimes an individual skin feature has an effect.
Let us consider in more detail the possible complications.
Everyone knows that all depilatory creams have a far from natural composition. Due to the presence of aggressive substances, it is possible to get a chemical burn from a depilation cream.
The following factors can increase the risks of its occurrence:
- very sensitive skin that reacts to any means
- exceeding the recommended exposure time,
- flushing the depilator with a hard washcloth.
Did you know? A doctor specializing in the treatment of burns is called a combustiologist, from Lat. "Combustio" - burn and buckwheat. "Logos" is a doctrine.
The consequences in the form of irritations from depilation cream are not as dangerous as burns, but nevertheless cause discomfort and aesthetic ugliness. Manifested by redness, itching, rashes, burning.
Irritation can occur for the following reasons:
- soft skin,
- an allergic reaction to the components of the product,
- excessive efforts when removing the product with a spatula,
- improper skin care after depilation.
Irritations after depilation cream can be minimized if the skin is thoroughly moistened after the procedure with special means after depilation.
Features of complications
We dwell separately on two delicate zones. The consequences on them from improper use of depilatory cream are especially dangerous due to the fact that the skin in these places is thin and vulnerable, and there is also mucous membrane in the vicinity.
When choosing a product, always pay attention to the notes for which zones it is intended. If you use the product intended for the legs, the chances of getting a burn on the face from the depilation cream increase significantly.
Facial products have a lower concentration of strong chemicals and act on the skin more loyally.
Signs of irritation after depilation
Irritation is an absolutely normal reaction of the skin to hair removal with tweezers, wax, a razor or an electroepilator, because this procedure injures the skin and hair follicles. In order for the instruction to eliminate irritation to be as useful as possible, we first find out what is the difference between epilation and depilation.
At hair removal hair is removed completely, along with the root. This effect can be achieved with wax, shugaring, laser or electroepilator.
Depilation - the procedure for removing the visible part of the hair, for example, with a razor or cream depilator.
Distinguish between hair removal and hair removal © iStock
After the procedure, the skin can behave differently, depending on its initial state and method of hair removal.
Dryness and peeling arise, as a rule, after applying a razor - the blade injures the upper layer of the epidermis, damaging its integrity.
Red dots appear at the place of hair removal - a common problem for those who use an epilator or wax. Typically, the points pass quickly: in a couple of days, if the skin is normal, a little longer - if sensitive.
Ingrown hair appear on skin with a thicker stratum corneum, and cause various inconveniences - from an unaesthetic appearance to the risk of inflammation.
Extensive redness may indicate an allergic reaction to the components of the depilatory agent or a burn after epilation with hot wax or sugar.
Even the most advanced razor, shaving hairs, injures the upper layer of the skin, which can lead to redness, dryness, peeling.
Injury to nerve endings causes a natural response in the form of local redness - red dots appear in place of hair follicles.
After cooling the damaged area, anti-inflammatory and healing drugs must be applied to the skin. The most popular pharmacy remedies for such a problem:
Important! If blisters appear at the burn site, fluid oozes from the wound, it is better not to self-medicate, but to consult a doctor.
Folk remedies for treating burns include rubbing the affected area with aloe vera juice. A home-made mask of milk and turmeric has moisturizing and antiseptic properties.
It is necessary to mix these ingredients to a thick pasty state and apply on a burn, hold for a while and rinse.
Sea buckthorn oil has a healing effect. Make applications with him twice a day. Depending on the degree of damage, 5 to 10 procedures can be performed.
Photos of burns, especially faces, with depilation cream are unpleasant. In order not to aggravate the negative consequences, it is necessary to remember a number of contraindicated actions:
- you can’t take sunbaths and go to the sauna,
- Do not wear tight clothing adjacent to the damaged area,
- on the burn site you can not use scrubs, peels, washcloths,
- Do not use in the future a cream that has negative effects on the skin.
This article is intended for those who monitor their health, and before various cosmetic procedures, studies in detail information about them. If you nevertheless burned the skin with depilation cream, there is a chance to minimize the consequences by applying the methods described above.
From this video you will learn how to get rid of irritation and make the skin soft and tender.
- 1. Why does irritation occur and how does it manifest
- 2. How to quickly remove irritation after hair removal
- 2.1. Medicinal and cosmetic preparations
- 2.1.1. Creams and ointments
- 2.1.2. Lotions, balms
- 2.1.3. Cosmetic oils
- 2.1.4. Hydrogen peroxide
- 2.1.5. Children's talcum powder
- 2.2. Folk methods
- 2.2.1. Herbal infusions
- 2.2.2. Juice of medicinal plants
- 2.3. We remove facial irritation by natural means
- 2.4. What to do if severe inflammation appears?
- 2.5. Allergic irritation
- 3. How to avoid irritation?
- 4. Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- 4.1. Is it possible to sunbathe and swim in the sea if after shugaring irritation has not passed?
- 4.2. What to do if irritation persists after applying baby powder?
- 4.3. Feet after the epilator are constantly itching, what should I do?
- 4.4. How to get rid of red dots after hair removal?
- 4.5. After laser hair removal, the skin is red, what should I do?
- 4.6. What method of depilation does not cause irritation?
- 4.7. It's been more than a week after hair removal, and the skin is still spotted and continues to itch, what could it be?
- 4.8. Every time I have severe irritation in the bikini area after waxing, what should I do?
How to reduce the likelihood of irritation: your actions before depilation
In order for the skin to respond to hair removal as painlessly as possible, it is worth preparing it for the procedure in advance.
Skin exfoliation prevents hair ingrowth © iStock
The best prevention of hair growth is timely exfoliation. Use scrubs at least once a week.
If your problem is post-epilation dryness and peeling, begin to intensively moisturize the skin a few days before the procedure. The easiest option is to apply body cream daily after a shower.
Immediately prior to removing hair with wax, the master processes the skin with powder or talcum powder. This is an important point: after all, the more moist the skin is, the longer it will take to work on it and the stronger the irritation.
How to reduce irritation: what to do after depilation
For different types of procedures, methods for eliminating irritation and redness vary.
A few days before depilation, start moisturizing your skin © iStock
After treatment with a razor or depilatory cream, a moisturizer with soothing components (allantoin, chamomile extract) will come in handy.
After waxing or electrolysis, moisturizing the skin in the first day, on the contrary, is not necessary. It is better to avoid getting water on hair removal sites. Use absorbent powder, this will prevent the growth of bacteria in the follicles.
To prevent hair ingrowth, you can treat the skin with a special tool or practice gentle exfoliation.
Ways to eliminate irritation
Skin on different areas of the face and body reacts differently to hair removal. For example, the skin of the legs becomes dry, and inflammatory elements may appear in the bikini area.
After hair removal, apply moisturizing soothing cream to your skin © iStock
A frequent companion of irritation after hair removal is small inflammatory rashes. This is folliculitis. To prevent its occurrence, after hair removal with wax, tweezers or cream treat the skin with an antiseptic.
If irritation occurs on the skin of the legs, arms, and body after the razor, grease the treated areas liberally. soothing cream.
Ordinary baby powder or help with irritation after waxing with wax or electroepilator any talcum powder in the composition.
In no case do not wet the skin after hair removal (a procedure involving the removal of hair with a root): moisture can enhance the negative reaction of the skin. Use talcum powder to prevent or reduce inflammation.
Before the procedure
|Name of facility||Active ingredients||Mode of application|
|Grapefruit cream body scrub, Kiehl’s where to find?||Apply to skin with massaging movements, then rinse with shower gel or soap.|
|Shaving foam for sensitive skin, Biotherm||thermal plankton extract, chamomile extract, glycerin||Apply to cleansed skin, after depilation, remove the remaining foam with water.|
|"Precious Beauty Scrub", Garnier where to find?||Kupuasu tree fruit seeds, a complex of four oils||Apply to the skin with light massaging movements, rinse with water.|
After the procedure
|Name of facility||Active ingredients||Mode of application|
|Kiehl’s Soothing After Shave Lotion||salicylic acid, extract of ginger root and fireweed narrow-leaved||After shaving, apply a small amount of lotion to your face or body.|
|Kiehl’s Soothing After Shave Gel for Irritated Skin||squalane, extracts of aloe vera and peppermint leaves|